Friday, November 28, 2008

Let There Be Light

Ta Da.
I don't know where to start, so I'll just start here. I made this blog to share some of the things I like with other people. There's a quote somewhere that says the internet doesn't make you stupider, it just makes your stupidity more accessible to others. That's my goal exactly! Except stupid is a rather unpleasant way of describing things. I prefer, eccentric, deviant, idiosyncratic, or just fhqwhgads.

So, the title is probably my creative limit as far as writing goes. I'm more of a scientist than a writer or artist (pronounced "ar-teest"), which leads to my first point:

GEEKS
They are welcome here. I am a geek. I remember one time a friend and I listed things that were stereotypically dorky about me, here's some of them.
  • enjoys calculus
  • wears (slightly bent) glasses
  • chemistry major
  • computer programming hobbyist
  • plays mmorps
  • plays Magic: The Gathering
  • competitive DDR enthusiast (yes, it is still cool...for some people =P)
Some of my future posts will be about geeky stuff that I, and hopefully others, enjoy. Tech stuff, chemistry stuff, math stuff, who knows.


GREEKS
I am not a Greek. Though they too are welcome here, what I meant by "Greeks" was ancient Greek philosophers. I've gotten somewhat interested in philosophy since college started. It seems like one of those things that have merit, but is hard to actually apply to your life. My belief is that the world would be a slightly better place if everyone took a minute to examine their lives every now and then. What's good about philosophy is that it's thought provoking. So even if it isn't intrinsically "useful" I think it makes me happier, if only for the amusement it gives me.

Another thing I'm associating with "Greeks" is the whole fraternity thing and just college in general. I realize not everyone in college goes Greek, but college is a big part of my life now, and I'd like to see you fit that into the title some other way! =)
I am actually considering joining a fraternity so it is sort of applicable.


SLEEP (or lack thereof)
Yes, I do sleep. Sometimes more than I should. Sometimes not very much.
There's two main things about sleep that intrigue me enough to write blog entries about.

1. Dreaming
I think I have a mild obsession with dreaming. Particularly lucid dreaming. There will definitely be future posts about that, as well as some of my own dream happenings.

2. Polyphasic Sleep
Fancy person's term for "napping." Basically what it entails is getting sleep in more frequent, but shorter periods instead of one big long eight hour sleep marathon (or the "normal" way, as most people would call it). There's a fair amount of detail to this subject that I can get into later.


So this blog will basically be about what goes on in my head: my spontaneously nerdy stuff, my ambitions as a starving college student, and maybe my subconsciousness that is even more confused than I am.

No comments: